Brooklodge Demesne Icehouse
Situated within the former Brooklodge estate, this ice house was an integral part of the estate owners’ lifestyle, providing a means of keeping food fresh for the Blake family. Built around the 1770’s, this ice house is now derelict and mostly overgrown. Ice houses were a common feature of Irish demesnes and this ice house is a perfect reminder of the services put in place to facilitate the operation of a large-scale estate in the mid- to late eighteenth century.
Monivea Castle Icehouse
This ice house, built c.1860 (repaired c.2000) is now disused but once provided the means to keep food fresh for theFfrench family, the then residents of the nearby Monivea Castle. Ice houses were a common feature of Irish country estates by the mid-nineteenth century.
Now derelict and somewhat overgrown, this c.1780 icehouse was part of Woodlawn house. Icehouses are an increasingly rare type in Ireland and are mainly associated, as in this case, with the demesnes of large country houses. They illustrate the engineering and innovation required to preserve and chill food in the past and highlight the differences between the standards of living experienced between the upper and lower classes of society. Icehouses were usually built close to water as it was an appropriate source of ice in the winter months.
Garbally Demesne Icehouse
Set in dense woodland, this subterranean icehouse, built c.1800. was part of the former Garbally Demesne. Although now disused, this icehouse is in good condition and a testament to the technical skill used in its construction. Icehouses were an essential component of the demesnes of larger country houses to allow for the preparation of varied menus for the family and their guests. Ice was taken from nearby lakes or rivers in winter by servants and the thick walls and partly subterranean location would provide insulation to allow a constant supply of ice to the kitchen, allowing perishable foods to be kept fresh.
Dalystown Demesne Icehouse
Built c.1800, this icehouse was part of the Dalystown Demesne. Unfortunately there is not much remains of the icehouse. Icehouses were mainly associated, as in this case, with the demesnes of large country houses. They illustrate the engineering and innovation required to preserve and chill food in the past.
Marble Hill Icehouse
Built c.1780, this icehouse is part of the demesne of Marble Hill. It is now disused. Icehouses were an important part of the life of a country house and demesne. They are also of importance for the long-term preservation of food in the period before refrigeration.
Fisheries Field Kiln
Built c.1820., this large lime kiln stands as testament to the importance of industrial processes carried out in the nineteenth century and forms part of the heritage of NUIG’s grounds. The kiln was associated with the construction of a nearby Fever Hospital.
Built c.1800, this large and well constructed lime kiln remains in good condition. The kiln was built in its own limestone quarry. It is a testament to the skills of the builders and a reminder of past rural and agricultural industry.
Now disused, this c.1800 lime kiln remains intact and in good condition. The kiln serves as a reminder of the industrial heritage of the Cornamona area. It strategic position ensured easy transport on the river and a continuous airflow is assured by its siting on a hillock.
This lime kiln is a relatively rare survival in West Galway. It was built by the present landowner’s grandfather in the 1930s. It reflects the hard work that was required to keep the land productive in this area and the commercial value of lime in a pre-mechanised age. Limestone would have been brought from the Aran Islands and burnt for fertilizer, depicting how difficult manual labour was in the agricultural industry.
Ross Demesne Kiln
This relatively small lime kiln, built c.1770, is important for its association with Ross House. The kiln has an excellent location, utilising a small hillock to form a bank to the rear and the flue orientated towards the lake to take advantage of the unobstructed winds. The kiln, used to provide lime for mortar and fertiliser which was used in Ross House and the surrounding demesne. The kiln is in relatively good condition and maintained by the current owners.
This lime kiln, c.1800, is set in an open field and built into hill slope. The kiln is a physical reminder of the industrial heritage of Colmanstown. The survival of its original form and fabric make it a valuable contribution to the architectural heritage of the area.
This is an interesting kiln as its round plan and corbelled appearance are reminiscent of the medieval clochán or hermit’s beehive hut. Built in c.1900, the kiln was situated close by to the Vicomte de Basterot’s flour mill to the north.Lime kilns were a common feature in the Irish countryside, as lime was used in mortar, render and limewash and for fertilising of land.
This is a rare survival of a lime kiln on the Aran Islands, built c1860. Its location beside Killeany Harbour would have enabled bagged lime to be transported to other parts of Árainn and the other islands. It is relatively intact and forms a distinctive group with the harbour and the medieval Arkin Castle.
Although now roofless and derelict, this former tidal mill is an important part of the industrial heritage of the area – its operating mechanism confirmed by the culvert opening which would have allowed water to enter at high tide. It is one of a group of tidal mills in the area. Interestingly, it is marked on the Ordnance Survey map as a windmill, rather than a tidal mill, so it may have used both sources of energy.
Built in 1804 by the Vicomte de Basterot, this two-bay three-storey mill was a former tidal flour mill formed as part of a complex with the adjacent weir. It forms an important part of the industrial heritage of the area.
Nun’s Island Mill
This is a seven-bay six-storey former flour mill, built c.1810, and is now in use as an educational laboratory by NUI Galway. Much of the original structure and character remains intact. The mill is an important reminder of the industrial heritage of Galway city. The building and the processes carried out within highlight the economic importance of the city’s many waterways.
Mill Street Mill
This two-bay three-storey with attic, was a former flour mill, built c.1800. The mill elevation to the south-east and house elevation to the street represents an unusual combination. The surrounds to the openings and the distinctive camber-headed head-race openings and well maintained stone-lined weirs enhance the structure.
The Bridge Mills
This six-bay, three-storey building is a former flour mill dated back to 1800 and refurbished in 1988. The mill stands testament to the long history of milling in this location in Galway city during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The mill has retained some of it key features such as its original waterwheel along with the accompanying mill races running through the building. Within the stone façade are several well preserved dressed stone lintels and voussoirs.
This three-bay, three-storey building was a former water mill, built c.1760 and now derelict. Though no equipment or mill pit remain at the site, the original form and detailing of the mill buildings can be seen and the structure enriches the industrial heritage of the area. Mills were vital structures in Irish society and important for the economic life of local communities.
Tuam Water Mill
Straddling the River Nanny, Tuam water mill was built in c.1875 and is a five-bay, single-storey structure. The mill building is unusual in that it is built over a river and supported by arches that could have served also as mill races. The building and associated features form an important record of Tuam’s industrial past.
Chapel Lane Mill
This water mill was built in c.1825 and comprises of three-bay, four-storey block structure. This is a very unusual survival of a mill in an urban location.The mill is relatively intact but is now unused.
This multiple-bay, two-storey mill which was built in c.1800 is no longer in use as a mill. Although now used as a farm outbuilding much of the building’s fabric remains. The millstream and nearby former mill manager’s house add context to the structure. The mill is a strong physical reminder of the industrial heritage of the area.
This mill is a double-pile three-bay, two-storey water mill which was built in c.1825. It is a relatively modest structure which is a good example of a rural water mill. Its walls are evidence of local stone masonry while the mill has managed to retain much of the historic fabric, internal workings, associated water courses and other features which make it site great importance of the local areas industrial heritage.
This structure is a three-bay, three-storey water mill which was built in c.1830. The mill is a very good example of the many small rural mills in County Galway and it remains very much intact, which is rare. Features such as the water wheel are still present on the mill.
This multiple-bay, three-storey water mill was built in c.1775 and later extended in c.1825. Unfortunately the structure has been partially demolished, but still remains a strong reminder of the great milling era of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Addergoole More Mill
This water mill is a three-bay, three-storey structure built in c.1825. It is now derelict. The building serves as a strong reminder of the small-scale milling industry in this part of County Galway.
The Streamstown mill is a six-bay mill which was built in c.1780 and consists of four-stories. The building is now derelict and used as a farm outbuilding. The mill was a former corn mill situated on Streamstown Bay, which was an area made prosperous by smuggling in the eighteenth century. The mill remained in operation until the mid-nineteenth century. The interior retains its original timber floors, beams and support posts. The mill acts as a reminder of the area’s past industrial heritage.
The Kilshanvy mill, is a three-bay, two-storey structure built in c.1780. Although the mill building ceased production many years ago, the walls and part of the roof have survived the test of time. It is an important reminder of the great era of milling in Ireland in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
This small water mill is a two-bay, two-storey building, built in c.1850. The mill was very solidly built and has been well maintained, as it is one of the few such small-scale mill buildings which is still roofed.
This three-bay, three-storey mill building is in a poor state of repair but the stonework is substantial and particularly impressive. The mill was built in c.1780.
Built in c.1840, the millrace and associated mill structures were formed as part of the sawmill built by William John Digby, who also built Moat Lodge adjacent. Although disused and generally in a poor condition, some original historic fabric of the millrace and structures remain. At the time the Water mill would have been of great social importance to the local area with the sawmill providing employment for local people. Unfortunately the exact location of this mill is yet to be discovered but we are working on it.
Killian Corn Mill
This water mill, built in c.1800, was once an important feature in the economic development for the area and would have been a focal point for the local agricultural community. The mill used a stream diverted from the River Shiven to power a mill wheel which in turn powered the mechanism to grind corn. Though the mill is now derelict and no longer functioning as a mill, the building retains some physical remnants of its former use such as the mill race and remains of the mill wheel.
Mountbellew Demense Mill
Originally part of the Mountbellew Estate and set up by the Bellew family, this former water mill, built c.1860, used water from the nearby lake to provide power to process grain into flour. The buildings facade still retains its pitching doors on upper levels which would have accommodated grain storage. Mills such as this, were an important part of local agricultural life and key to the economic development of an area.
Built c.1840, this watermill forms an interesting group with the two-storey miller’s house. Unfortunately the exact location is not known yet, but we are working to find it for you.
Kilroe Mill was built in c.1790 and has associations with John J. Gunning, tanner of Galway who bought the land in the parish of Kilcoona after the Great Famine and ran a flour milling business. The building was possibly originally a flax mill. The survival of all its internal workings makes this a building of special importance and the presence of two water wheels is most unusual. Kilroe Mill was a focal point for the local community, providing employment, and played a key role in the economic prosperity of the area in particular its role as a flour mill after the Great Famine.
This building was a former linen mill which was of significant importance to the industrial heritage and economic history of the local area. The mill is now ruinous and overgrown and many of the original features and fittings have been lost including the water wheel, mill race, internal floors and roof structure. However the building still retains its early form and is a striking feature within the rural landscape.
This former corn mill, built c.1830, is a significant element of the social and economic history of the Abbeyknockmoy area. Although now ruinous and significantly overgrown, many parts of the mill remain including the cast-iron mill gearing and mill race which are of technical significance and are part of the industrial heritage of the area.
This corn mill, built c.1770, used water from a mill stream to power the mill wheel which in turn powered the mechanism to grind corn. This mill building retains its vernacular form and character, despite the removal of the milling equipment and the redirecting of the millrace. Although no longer in use as a mill it serves as an important physical reminder of the past industrial processes and represents an integral element of the industrial heritage and economic history of the area.
Opened c.1810, this corn mill was originally owned by the Bell family. Water was diverted from the Ahascragh River and the mill stream was used to power the mill wheel in order to grind corn. It ceased milling in the 1950s but played an important role in the agricultural and commercial life of the local area while it was active. Although extended unsympathetically in the 1950s and 1980s the central mill building retains its original character and is of substantial size and simple detailing.
Built c.1780, this corn mill utilised the Cregg River in order to power the mill wheel to grind corn. The appearance of the building is reminiscent of the facade of a country house. In addition, the ashlar facade is a rarity, suggesting that the landowner spent considerable money on building the mill.
Built in c.1860 and now ruinous, this corn mill attests to the economic and social changes that have occurred in the region over time. Its low-lying setting, beside a stream, is evocative. Unfortunately the exact location of the mill is unknown, but we are working on it.
Built in c.1860, this former water mill is located in a very picturesque setting. The mill is perfectly situated to take advantage of two important factors, a river for power and a road for the transportation of its produce. The mill largely retains its original appearance and is of a similar plan to other mills found throughout the country with a man-made millrace and pier to divert the water to the wheel. The mill is an important roadside reminder of the area’s industrial heritage.
Originally constructed in c.1800, this water mill, although no longer in use as a mill, retains its form and character. The small openings and lack of decoration are typical of functional rural buildings. It makes an interesting group with the mill race and the miller’s house to the south. Unfortunately the exact location is unknown but we are working on finding it for you.
Constructed in c.1800, this former flour mill has a simple architectural form whose impressive height forms an austere and imposing eye catcher from the road. The site retains a sense of physical integrity through the retention of the mill race and associated outbuildings.
Dated c.1855, this mill was an important structure to the industrial heritage and economic history of the area. Although the building is now in poor condition, its large scale makes it an imposing feature. There are still several water features which still remain.
Dated in c.1820, this corn mill is an important physical reminder of the industrial heritage of South Galway. Through its owners, the mill has been restored to its original working condition. It retains its original form and character and the museum offers many interesting artefacts from the milling community.
Built in c.1800, this corn mill is one of many mills which were powered by the Kilcrow River. The early nineteenth century which was a boom period for the corn milling industry in Ireland. The associated features at the site include the former mill, the mill owner’s house, a mill pond, a mill dam, sluices and a bridge.
Dated c.1790, this small corn mill has retained a sense of its original character, with a wooden waterwheel, sluice gates and a weir. The mill would have been served by the adjacent Streamstown River. It is believed that timbers from the mill were used by W.B. Yeats in his restoration of the nearby tower house.
This former water mill forms part of a small-scale industrial complex, which comprised the water mill, a mill house, mill race and dam and associated outbuildings. It was built in c.1860. Although now in poor condition, it is a physical reminder of the industrial heritage of the area.
Gold Cave Crescent Mill
This three-stage windmill was built in c.1750. It is now currently roofless. The windmill is one of the few in County Galway and is typical of windmill stumps in Ireland. Its cylindrical form suggests an earlier date than other types and it was apparently built by Dr Hort, a former bishop of Tuam.
This two-stage windmill was built in c.1790. It is now ruinous and roofless with no internal fittings. Nonetheless, the structures walls are still in very good condition and stood the test of time.
This three-stage windmill was built in c.1750. Although now roofless, the mill is in relatively good condition. It is an important relic of the tradition of using wind to generate energy for the grinding of corn into flour and would thus have had significant social value to the area.
This, now roofless, three-stage windmill was built in c.1750. It is an early example of its type and the form and proportions of the building are still evident. Prominently located on a slight mound in a field, the building has considerable social and technical interest as it was used for the grinding of corn for the local community.
This two-stage windmill was built in c.1750, however it now ruinous. The remains of the windmill are nonetheless a strong reminder of the industrial heritage of the area. The mill was located on an elevated and exposed site in order to take advantage of the stronger wind currents. Mills such as this were used to grind corn and were of importance to the local farming community.
This two-stage windmill was built in c.1750. The windmill is one of a small group in North Galway. It was once of great industrial importance to the local area as it was used to grind corn into flour. The mill overlooks a small valley which adds to it somewhat picturesque setting.
Derrydonnell More Mill
This, now ruinous and roofless, windmill was built in c.1750. It is a poignant reminder of the industrial heritage of Galway County and is one of few windmills in the county.
This windmill was built in c.1780 and is set within demesne lands of Eyreville. Although now ruinous and roofless, this is a visual reminder of the industrial heritage of South Galway. The mill is situated on an elevated site in order to take advantage of the stronger wind currents.
This three-stage windmill, built in c.1750, is now ruinous. Although already ruinous by the late nineteenth century, the mill is a familiar landmark in the locality due to its roadside position and distinctive form. It occupies an elevated position which overlooks Derryhiveny demesne.