It is believed that St Mary’s Abbey at Annaghdown was built in 1195. The abbey is dedicated to St. Mary, hence the abbey is sometimes also referred to as the Abbey of St Mary de Portu Patrum. 

Although now ruinous, it’s remains are a fine example of an early fortified abbey. The remaining ruins include a church, a cloister and living quarters.

Location

GPS: 53.386942,-9.072778