Ballinduff Castle is a 14th century tower house believed to have been built by the De Burgo family. The castle is first recorded as being held by Thomas MacHenry in 1574 and as being sold to the Skerrett family in 1688.
Notably, the castle was mentioned in the 1469 ‘Annals of the Four Masters’ as a site of contest between The Clanricarde and Red Hugh O’Donnell. The Clanricarde was a Gaelic title given to the overlord of what is now County Galway however he was defeated by O’Donnell who was aided by the Mayo Burke clan in the battle.
The tower house consisted of four storeys.