Ballynahinch Castle was built in 1754 by the ferocious O’Flaherty family who occupied the castle until the end of the century.
The castle is steeped in history, with one of the more notable residents being the wife of Donal O’Flaherty, Grace O’Malley, also known as Pirate Queen of Connacht, as she was a pirate on the high seas. She took over as the head of the O’Flaherty family when her husband was killed by a rival clan.
In 1800, the castle was took over by Richard Martin, otherwise known as ‘Humanity Dick’ who was the founder of the RSPCA, and rebuilt in order to be used as an Inn. Furthermore, in 1924 Prince Ranjitsinhji Maharajah of Nawanager stayed at the castle as a guest of the Berridge family who then owned the estate. He fell in love with the area and the castle so much that he decided to buy the castle and return every year until his death in 1932.
Today the Castle is used as a hotel with much of the castle features of old still in existence.