Cargin Castle (also known as ‘Carraigin Castle’) was built in the 13th Century and later restored in the 1970’s. The castle was built by Adam Gaynard III who was grandson of a Norman adventurer who took part in the colonisation of Ireland by the De Burgo conquerors in 1238.
The castle was never used as a fortress but rather a home to landowners to secure them through turbulent times. The castle changed hands to George Staunton, supporter of Cromwell in the English Civil War, in 1650, where his descendants continued to possess the castle until 1946. By this time, the castle had long been abandoned and stood ruinous.