Once a thriving fishing village on the outskirts of Galway City, the Claddagh village made up of cottages lived in by Gaelic speaking inhabitants, suffered greatly during the famine of the 1840’s.
During the famine many of the people living in the Claddagh emigrated from the area. In the 1920’s many of the cottages were deemed no longer fit for habitation and were to be completely knocked down.The last six cottages were demolished in 1952 to make way for the current fire station.
The identity of the Claddagh village had been essentially stripped. In 2014, the Claddagh Arts Centre opened on Upper Fairhill Road and in 2015 had established an authentic thatched cottage on the premises. The cottage hosts storytelling evenings, classes, workshops and local events.