Cloonacauneen Castle is a four storey 16th century tower house now converted into a small hotel. The castle was held by Richard De Burgo (Burke) in 1574 before changing hands to the Blake family, with Martin Blake coming into possession until 1835 where he sold it to a Mr. Fair from Ballinasloe.
In 1914 the castle came into the possession of Mr. James Malley, but as a dilapidated ruin. Nonetheless, under the ownership of the Lenihan family in 1963, the castle underwent restoration work. The castle hotel still consists of several of it’s features such as fireplaces and latrines on all levels above the first storey, a murder hole and much more.