Derrymaclaughna Castle was a five storey tower house believed to have been built in the 16th century as a stronghold for the De Burgo (Burke) family. 

Records show that the castle was held by John De Burgo (Burke) in 1574 and that it remained in the family for centuries as it was also recorded in 1786 as the seat of the Burke family. 

The castle became residence of Thomas P. O’Flahertie of the Lemonfield family, who was married to a daughter of Ulick Burke, in the early 19th century. 

The castle now lies in ruins but features of the castle can still be seen.


GPS: 53.386011, -8.835174