It is believed that St. Patrick built a monastery upon a site in Dunmore, which Walter De Birmingham, the Lord Baron of Athenry, later founded a friary for Hermits of St. Augustine in 1425.
The abbey changed hands several times through the turmoil of the Protestant Reformation which took place throughout Ireland. Nonetheless it is known that as late as 1641, there were still a prior and 30 friars in the community.
It was later converted to a parish church with all other features surrounding the church being leveled. The remains consist of a church nave and a chancel with a tower.