Fiddaun Castle is a six storey castle, built in 1574, and once considered to be the largest castle in all of Ireland due to the amount of land that was encompassed within its outer walls.
The castle was owned by the O’Shaughnessy family and guarded the western parts of their lands. The castle was forfeited in 1697 when Sir William O’Shaughnessy, who was only fifteen fled to France to fight as a captain in the Jacobite cause and later became a Mareschal de Camp in 1734.
Fiddaun Castle was continuously inhabited by O’Shaughnessys until 1727. Although now uninhabited and missing it’s top storey the castle is remarkably preserved with many inner features still intact.