Situated on the island of Inís Oírr, Furmina Castle or O’Brien’s Castle as its otherwise known, is believed to have been built in the 14th century. 

It’s location was key to controlling Galway Bay at the time. It was recorded that in 1582, the castle was taken from the O’Brien’s by the O’Flaherty’s of Connemara, where it remained occupied by the O’Flaherty’s and others until 1652 when eventually surrendered to Cromwellian forces. 

It is understood that the castle was partially dismantled in favour of the Arkin Fort on Inis Mór island and fell to ruin and disrepair as a result.

Location

GPS: 53.062099, -9.519198