Kilroe Mill was built in c.1790 and has associations with John J. Gunning, tanner of Galway who bought the land in the parish of Kilcoona after the Great Famine and ran a flour milling business. 

The building was possibly originally a flax mill. The survival of all its internal workings makes this a building of special importance and the presence of two water wheels is most unusual. 

Kilroe Mill was a focal point for the local community, providing employment, and played a key role in the economic prosperity of the area in particular its role as a flour mill after the Great Famine.

Location

GPS: 53.415255,-9.031050