The Victorian Walled Garden of Kylemore Abbey, provides an oasis of beautiful tranquil surrounds in the wild Connemara Countryside. The garden was developed along with Kylemore Castle in the late 1800’s where it once would have been home to 21 heated glass houses and a work force of 40 gardeners.
The garden was believe to have been so far ahead of it’s time that it was compared in magnificence with Kew Gardens in London. In 1995, the Benedictine nuns started to restore what had become an overgrown and derelict garden. The garden is approx 6 acres in size and is divided in two by a lovely mountain stream.
The east half of the garden includes a formal flower garden, glass houses, the head gardener’s house and the garden bothy. The west half of the garden contains a vegetable garden, herbaceous border, fruit trees, a rockery and a herb garden.
The garden provides beautiful walks in a tranquil and exotic setting, a perfect way to spend some time.