Portumna Castle is a 17th century stronghold built by Richard De Burgo (Burke), 4th Earl of Clanricarde, in 1618. It was believed that the castle cost around £10,000 to build and may have been one of the first Renaissance style castles built in Ireland.
The castle was forfeited to Henry Cromwell from 1652 to 1661 and later passed hands to William III and Queen Anne. The gardens were added to the aesthetics of the castle in the 18th century along with some minor alterations.
In 1826, a disastrous fire broke out and the castle was abandoned as a result. The castle lay derelict and roofless for many years before the it underwent it’s current restoration work under the public works of the state.