This is an interesting kiln as its round plan and corbelled appearance are reminiscent of the medieval clochán or hermit’s beehive hut. 

Built in c.1900, the kiln was situated close by to the Vicomte de Basterot’s flour mill to the north. Lime kilns were a common feature in the Irish countryside, as lime was used in mortar, render and limewash and for fertilising the land.

Location

GPS: 53.152019, -9.007703