Ross Castle was built in 1590 by Robert Martin whose family was one of the “Tribes” from Galway City.
The building was the first home for any of the Galway tribes outside the walls of the city. As a result it became known as ‘The ancient home of the Martins of Ross’. In 1770, the castle interior and roof were destroyed by a fire and there were many alterations made in it’s restoration work.
By the time the present owners purchased the castle in 1985, it had fallen into complete ruins and it took 15 years for the restoration of the castle. The castle has now been converted into a hotel where many interesting architectural features can be seen.