Built in 1818, the salmon weir bridge is the oldest surviving bridge over the River Corrib. 

The original purpose of the structure was to link the county courthouse with the county gaol on Nun’s Island, the latter having stood where Galway Cathedral now stands. It was also to provide a connection with the main road to Connemara. 

Between April and July the bridge offers a great viewing point to watch the silvery salmon below, fight their way upstream, back to their traditional spawning grounds on Lough Corrib.

Location

GPS: 53.275577,-9.056050