The High Cross of Tuam was erected in 1152 possibly to commemorate the appointment of the first Archbishop of Tuam, Archbishop Áed Ua O’hOisín. It is reputed to have been the tallest of the High Crosses of Ireland.
When the first Cathedral collapsed after being destroyed by fire in 1184, the High Cross was dismantled into pieces which later were found in different location and pieced back together. The cross was later erected again in the town centre, after much disagreement of which branch of religion rightfully owned the cross – Catholics or Protestants.
In the late 1980’s, it was evident that the Cross was deteriorating due to weathering and pollution and after lengthy discussions, the Office of Public Works removed the monument from the Square in April 1992 and re-erected it in the south transept of St. Mary’s Cathedral, where it is now situated